Skip to main content

tv   Face the Nation  CBS  March 15, 2015 10:30am-11:31am EDT

10:30 am
>> schieffer: i'm bob schieffer today on "face the nation," the secretary of state, the rookie senator and nuclear negotiations with iran. secretary of state kerry headed into the home stretch of negotiations to limit iran's nuclear capabilities freshman senator tom cotton says iranians a letter signed by 47 republicans warning them any agreement could prove worthless has that derailed the talk? second of state kerry tells our margaret brennan he's not sure. >> how do you clear the air, are you going to apologize for this letter? >> not on your life i'm not going to apologize for unconstitutional, unthought out action as somebody has been united states senate for 60-some days. >> schieffer: we'll hear more from kerry and cotton's explanation of why he did it.
10:31 am
plus democratic joe manchin and elijah cummings on that and the week's other news. plus report on state of race relations in america. because this is "face the nation." captioning sponsored by cbs man we begin with margaret brennan's interview as he prepared to leave egypt fly to switzerland for the talks. she asked him flatly had the cotton letter put the talks in jeopardy? >> i don't know yet. when i negotiate for the first time on sunday night with foreign minister i'll have better sense. what i do know that this letter was absolutely calculated directly to interfere with these negotiations. it specifically inserts itself directly to the leader of another country saying don't negotiate because we're going to change this. which, by the ways not only
10:32 am
contrary to constitution with respect to the executive's right to negotiate but incorrect because they cannot change an executive agreement. it's false information and directly calculated to interfere, basically say don't negotiate with them, you have to negotiate with 535 members of congress. that is unprecedented. >> negotiate with you, you have to sit at that table? >> it's unprecedented, i've never seen anything like this. i don't know how many people really focus completely on it but i do know that the effect the intent of the author was to basically say don't do this deal. by the way, that is to say that before there even is a deal. it's like, you know, giving people a grade on a test before the test is even written let alone given. it's wrong. it's unprecedented.
10:33 am
and i hope it hasn't made it very difficult here. by the way, we're not -- this is not just the united states of america negotiating. this is china russia germany france, great britain. >> how do you clear the air? are you going to apologize for this letter? >> note on your life. i'm not going to apologize for unconstitutional unthought out action by somebody who has been in the united states senate for 60-some days. that's just inappropriate. i will explain very clearly that congress does not have the right to change an executive agreement. another president may have a different view about it. but if we do our job correctly, all of these nations, they all have an interest in making sure that this is in fact a proven peaceful program. and it would be derelict if we allow some gaping hole in this program that doesn't do so.
10:34 am
but let's see what it is, first. and i think this applies to everybody, incidentally, who has been trying to judge this before in fact the deal, if it can be sealed, is sealed. >> you've made the point this is international agreement, this isn't just the u.s. and iran but senator said decision to bypass congress instead go to the u.n. allows to go is a direct affront to the american people. >> where all due respect, i do really disagree with that judgment. i talked to him about it the other day and made it clear. we are negotiating under the auspices to some degree of the united nations. so just as congress has to vote to lift sanctions congress does have a vote so does the united nations have to lift some sanctions at some point in time. >> but to authorize this deal congress having a role? >> congress has a role.
10:35 am
we have had over 205 briefings, phone calls discussions, with congress. 119 of them have taken place since january of this year. we have been in full discussion with congress on this. we've been in full discussion with allies in the region. we have had our team go to israel, meet with israelis in washington or wells to brief them regularly in this process. this isn't a complete mystery. the fact is that -- we also have been operating under rule that everybody understands. nothing is agreed to until everything is agreed to. so we have to finish our negotiations and we deserve the right to do so frankly knowing we have to submit it to the world to judge. we ought to be able to find out unimpeded and uninterfered with
10:36 am
in an unconstitutional way in violation of 200-plus years of tradition. >> the president wants a deal by the end of march. if you can't meet that timetable what happens? >> margaret, we are trying to get a deal by the end of march. >> will there be an expansion? >> the president's view is that we've been at this for over two years now. and iran has said its program is peaceful. in the time that we've had fundamental framework of decisions necessary to improve your program is peaceful shouldsible. we believe very much that not anything that's going to change in april or may or june that suggests that at that time decision you can't make now will be made then. if it's peaceful, let's get it done. and my hope is that in the next days that will be possible. >> if these talks fail do you think there is a risk that iran
10:37 am
will make the choice to build a bomb? >> of course there's that risk. obviously. >> is that what is at stake? >> if they move along the road to decide suddenly to break out and rush to try to have enough material to build a bomb we have a number of options available to us, president obama has said they are all on the table and he has also pledged very publicly and very clearly on a number of occasions iran will not allow to get a nuclear weapon. >> schieffer: also addressed the situation in syria we'll have that in our next half hour. but now we are joined by republican senator tom cotton of arkansas who wrote that letter, you heard what the secretary said unprecedented inappropriate, unthought out, unconstitutionally wrong. what were you trying to
10:38 am
accomplish senator? >> i and 46 other senators are focused on stopping iran from getting a nuclear weapon. we wanted to be crystal clear iran's leaders got the message that in our constitutional system the president negotiates deal congress has to approve them to be lasting and binding. i'm surprised by secretary's comments this morning because just few days ago he testified before the senate to say that any deal would not be legally binding now he says that future congress can't cake and near executive agreement if we disagree or future president disagrees with him? that's not the way our constitutional system works. certainly not the way we should be negotiating with iran. >> did you talk to the secretary of state, did you talk to any democrats in the senate before you chose to go directly to the iranians? >> i and many other senators, republican and democrat have expressed our sincere and long held that congress must approve any nuclear bill for months.
10:39 am
in fact going back almost two years ago i was part of 400-person majority in the house of representatives that sought to impose more sanctions on iran. we did reach out to some democratic offices but i can tell you that the viewpoint widely shared, i don't see how anyone can dispute if a deal is reached with iran that it's not approved by congress and future congresses and future presidents don't have to accept it. >> senator not exactly news to say that the congress can pass laws to change whatever laws or agreements there are on the books. but why did you decide to try to convince the iranian, is that they needed to be weary ever dealing with the night states why not take your argument to the american people? why didn't you write open letter in the "new york times" or something? >> iran's leaders needed to hear the message loud and clear. i can tell you they are not hearing that message from geneva. in fact if you look at the response of the iranian foreign minister it underscores the need for the letter in the first
10:40 am
place. because he made it clear that he does not understand our constitutional system. he thinks inter national law can override our constitution. >> senator, are you planning to contact any other of our adversaries around the country for example, do you plan to check with the north koreans to make sure that they know that any deal has to be approved by the congress? >> bob right now i and most every other senator wants to stop iran. it's important that we communicated with message straight to iran because they're not hearing from geneva this is not parliamentary democracy. they have been killing americans, hundreds of americans for 35 years in iraq and lebanon and saudi arabia. they killed jews around the world. >> schieffer: how does it make america stronger to tell them that any agreement they make with this administration may not be worth the paper it's written on and may not last
10:41 am
beyond this presidency how does that make things better? >> as well as simple fact that our constitution that if congress doesn't approve that deal it may not last. and the deal that is on the table right now is a very bad deal. it would allow iran to have thousands and thousands of centrifuges to continue to enrich ukrainian. nothing to the military dimensions. excluded entirely ballistic missile which is designed solely to strike the united states right here at home and it would have ten-year subject set. i would point out in 1994 united states entered into something called agreed framework. stop north korea from getting a bomb. they almost cheated on it nearly 12 years later they detonated. now the world has to live with the consequences of the nuclear north korea i don't want to live with the consequences of nuclear iran. >> earlier today, former secretary of state madeleine albright told our local affiliate here wusa that what
10:42 am
you did was akin to during the cuban missile crisis if senator had called khrushchev told him he couldn't be certain that president kennedy could back up any deal he made with him, do you see a comparison there? >> no. i would disagree. secretary albright was part of the clip ton administration that entered into the fundamentally flawed agreement. what we did was to send clear message to a dictatorial regime we didn't conciliate with the dictators we told them that the american people 71% of the american people will not accept the deal that puts iran on the path to nope. 71% of the american people are right, that is where we're speaking. >> schieffer: what do you want to happen here? what is your alternative here? let's say that the deal falls through, then what? >> prime minister netanyahu said alternative to a bad deal is a better deal. the iranians frequently walk away from the table if they
10:43 am
block this week, call their bluff. congress stands ready to impose much more severe sanctions, more over we have to stand up to iran's 'teams drive for regional dominant they already controlled tehran increasingly controlled beirut and baghdad now as well they do all that without a nuclear weapon. imagine what they would do with a nuclear weapon. >> schieffer: do you feel that you have not weakened the president's hand here and do you have any regrets about the way you went about this? >> no regrets at all. and if the president and secretary of state were intent on driving hard bargain they would be able to point to this letter say they're right, as secretary kerry said on wednesday in senate testimony, any lasting deal needs to be approved by congress. when past senators like joe biden or jessie hems communicated directly with foreign leaders past presidents like ronald reagan and bill clinton did just that. the fact that president obama doesn't see this letter as a way to get more leverage at the
10:44 am
negotiating table just underscores that he is not negotiating for the hardest deal possible. he's negotiating a deal that is going to put iran on the path the to a bomb if not today or tomorrow then ten years from now. >> schieffer: we'll stop there, senator. thank you for coming by and explaining your point. we'll go to democratic senator joe manchin serves on armed services committee he joins us from charleston, west virginia. did you have any contact or discuss any of this with senator cotton before he took this action? >> i did not. no one from my staff had approached. this is going to be -- think try to do bipartisan to see if that is direction we feel strongly about maybe we could have helped negate this from happening. i think it was wrong. i would not have signed it. i was not approached. >> schieffer: the white house chief of staff has written chairman of the foreign relations committee and asked him this morning to hold off on
10:45 am
any legislation on iran or this deal he on the issue of whether or not a nuclear deal can be reached until at least june. does that sound right to you? because i know senator tim cain says you probably can't wait that long, he wants congress to vote on this. >> let me just say this, the democrats and republicans alike are committed not to allow iran to have a nuclear weapon. approach of how we go about it. got to speak with one voice. within the process that we have, the white house and state department know how strongly we feel about something against the reform. perfect example back when state department came over tried to explain to us why they wanted to start bombing syria you recall that not that long ago, year or two ago. i as democrat spoke out loudly against that i thought all it did was light the fuse for the
10:46 am
third world war, basically all of us democrats and republicans who felt strongly that we shouldn't drop the bomb able to succeed and the president was able to negotiate with russia to remove the chemical weapons. that did not take an approval of congress. we were heard. this same process should be used now, what we need to do, i signed a letter with other senators basically saying let's see how far we can progress on the end of march if we have a deal then at the end of june if we don't have a deal at happened we'll double down on sanctions. but we're still allowing white house and state department to do their job. >> schieffer: do you think this action by senator cotton and this letter has poisoned the well? >> it sure hasn't helped a thing. it hasn't helped one thing. except drive us further apart. the country is divided enough. we need to start bringing us together, like you said over 200 years we prayed under a process with the executive branch, state
10:47 am
department executive branch, speaking as one. but speaking through and with us being able to have input from the legislative branch. we can second guess all day long get nothing accomplished there is five other countries that secretary kerry had said. not just united states of america. if you want sanctions to work it's got to be bigger part of the world doubling down that's been missing. not part of the civilized world either get your act together or we'll make it more difficult for you. >> schieffer: senator, than you for joining ulk about some of the other news of the day when we come back in one minute. just stay calm and move as quietly as possible. no sudden movements. google search: bodega beach house.
10:48 am
sunday dinners at my house... it's a full day for me, and i love it. but when i started having back pain my sister had to come help. i don't like asking for help. i took tylenol but i had to take six pills to get through the day. so my daughter brought over some aleve. it's just two pills, all day! and now, i'm back! aleve. two pills. all day strong, all day long. and now introducing aleve pm for a better am. >> schieffer: we're back now with congressman elijah cummings who is not only the top democrat on the benghazi investigating committee but the top democrat on the oversight committee investigating the seemingly endless problems that the secret service is having.
10:49 am
another week here congressman where we just had over load on news and mostly bad news, i am dismayed and perplexed about what these secret service is going through. it seems like ever since they took them out from under the treasury department and put them under the homeland security agency that is just been one thing after another. are you satisfied with what you have found out about this latest incident so far and what needs to be done here? >> i am extremely upset about it. it's really frustrating to see an agency that is supposed to be number one elite protective agency in the world protecting the most important person in the world to operate like this. director clancy has come in made many changes, as a matter of
10:50 am
fact he's now gotten rid of the -- half of the top folks in the agency. but clearly this latest incident shows that we still got a lot of work to be done and bob, there is a culture of complacency and mediocrity taking place. we have to do -- one thing i am glad about is republicans and democrats agree on this high powered micro scope on this agency and address some of these issues. >> do you now have confidence does director still retain your confidence? >> he does. only been there a few months. again very impressed with the things he's done already. but now i think he's going to have to get rid of even more people. certain people that should not be there. and you cannot have supervisors telling the rank and file that they can't do their job such as
10:51 am
when they wanted the other night. >> schieffer: let's talk about the other big story of the week that is the hillary clinton e-mails. clearly you cut to the chase what was going on here it seems to me is that hillary clinton did not want to leave a paper trail. she set up the various procedures and so forth. do you think she is the best judge of what ought to be made public and what ought to be part of the government record? >> bob every federal employee on the federal level has responsibility to determine what is personal and what's official. she made that judgment, and i believe her. bob, if we have issues with hillary clinton, keep in mind, number one she's been extremely cooperative with our committee. she agreed to come in as early
10:52 am
as last december and -- she is willing to come in under oath and testify as to the e-mails. not only to testify about the e-mails but also testify about benghazi. last friday her lawyers contacted the chairman and yours truly and urged us to release the 850 pages of e-mails that we now have and hopefully will agree to that. will make that happen. >> schieffer: well, are you satisfied that there's anything else to find out about benghazi? >> i don't know. we've been at this now since may. and i still don't know the scope of what we're looking for. i think there are investigations been done very well and resolved most of the yes, sir. >> schieffer: all right.
10:53 am
mr. cummings, we certainly thank you for coming to see us this morning i'll be back in a minute with some personal thoughts. i've just arrived in atlanta and i can't wait to start telling people how switching to geico could save them hundreds of dollars on car insurance. but first, my luggage. ahh, there it is. uh, excuse me sir? i think you've got the wrong bag.
10:54 am
>>sorry, they all look alike, you know? no worries. well, car's here, i can't save people money chatting at the baggage claim all day. geico®. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance. your eyes really are unique. in fact, they depend on a unique set of nutrients. that's why there's ocuvite to help protect your eye health. as you age your eyes can lose vital nutrients. ocuvite helps replenish key eye nutrients. ocuvite is a vitamin made just for your eyes from the eye care experts at bausch + lomb. ocuvite has a unique formula that's just not found in any leading multivitamin. your eyes are unique so help protect your eye health with ocuvite.
10:55 am
>> schieffer: in a time when real leader ship is such a rare commodity i want to recognize the decisive action of oklahoma university president david borne, i knew him when he was a u.s. senator, a good one since joining the university he has been a strong leader in higher education. when that nauseating video of oi fraternity boys singing racist songs showed up on the internet borne had all kinds of options, open an investigation confer with his trustees, maybe convene a focus group. but he moved with such speed i doubt he did any of that. he simply expelled those
10:56 am
involved and threw the fra attorney tee off campus, no ifs ands or buts, don't let the screen door hit you on the way out. i'm not surprised in our litigious society that the university now hired a lawyer who may sue unless he reconsiders joins in making this a teachable moment. i think what is teachable is pretty obvious. actions have consequences and hateful words are dangerous things sometimes as harmful to those who deliver them as those they are aimed at. if the students didn't know that before, well, now they do. back in a minute. if you can clear a table without lifting a finger... you may be muddling through allergies. try zyrtec® for powerful allergy relief. and zyrtec® is different than claritin.
10:57 am
because it starts working faster on the first day you take it. zyrtec®. muddle no more™. just stay calm and move as quietly as possible. no sudden movements. google search: bodega beach house.
10:58 am
>> schieffer: some of our stations are leaving us now for most of you we'll be right back with a lot more "face the nation" in cluing discussion on race in america. margaret brennan's interview with secretary kerry.
10:59 am
♪ building aircraft, the likes of which the world has never seen. this is what we do. ♪ that's the value of performance. northrop grumman.
11:00 am
>> schieffer: welcome back to fakes the nation we'll pick up where we left off with a discussion of the racist videos that came out of a university of oklahoma fraternity. this week protests continued in madison, wisconsin where unarmed black teenagers of shot and killed by police last weekend and, where two police officers were seriously wounded while managing protesters following the resignation of the police chief which came after the justice department's damning report of table violence. sherrilyn ifill. and the president of the naacp cornell william brooks. thank you all so much for coming. this is actually the anniversary, the actual date when president johnson made the famous "we shall over come"
11:01 am
speech it was five months after that of course that voting rights act was passed. we had all these wonderful demonstrations last week in selma. president was down there yet all of these horrible things have happened this week. mr. brooks, how would you judge the state of race relations in america today, 50 years after that speech? >> we as a nation seem to be uncomfortably poised between our past and present. it was my privilege to walk in selma behind the president and between the president and mr. boynton who was beaten down. she is here now. the point is that much of the country don't seem to understand or remember or be aware of the history. what so many people had to go through in order to enjoy the
11:02 am
rights they have today. if they understood would not be able to think about lynching. 5,000 or so people were lynched in this country, to have members of fraternity sing about lynching in cavalier way and associate lynching with exclusive policies with respect to membership, absolutely shocking. >> sherrilyn, what is your take, some of the residents who were interviewed in ferguson this week said they didn't understand why people were still protesting down there after all they got rid of half the police force and people there. why do you think those demonstrations go on? >> well in many ways they have to go on because the work is not complete. we're at the moment where the work really has to push forward. that is that the department of justice now is entering into negotiations with the leaders of ferguson about how they're going to change that police department. this is the time when the protests have to become more focused and more targeted in terms of thinking about what is the result that you want.
11:03 am
elections are next month in ferguson. you've got city council elections, african americans running for city council at numbers they never did in the past. there's a real opportunity for change, i think the people who are out want to make sure that that change actually happens. a lot of work to be done, i think this discomfort that we're all feeling actually even though it feels like we're going backwards that's actually when we go forward. just like in selma. just like on that bridge, these moments of confrontation when we actually get to see what is really happening in america. whether it's that video that shocks us all that so repugnant. most dangerous time for race in america when we're papering over what the reality is. >> schieffer: things have been quiet here in recent years then all of a sudden we have these police incidents in ferguson, in new york, now up in wisconsin. is this just coincidence, mr. brooks or is there a connection here?
11:04 am
>> i don't believe it's coincidence. we're in a particular moment, if you will a third reconstruction. we are at a point in american history where we can move forward or we can move backward. we have made tremendous progress in terms of rights we've seen tremendous challenges in terms of crippal justice reform. and with respect to voting rights. we are at a moment where we need to turn into a real movement for reform. in ferguson we have handful of bills in the state legislature that would make tremendous difference in systems of civilian review boards. in congress an act that needs to be tweaked, improved, but need to move forward on that. because we're at a point where this country has to move forward. you have a generation of young people who get -- think we can do better. we can do better.
11:05 am
we need congress that is as engaged as committed to high democratic and constitutional value as these young people on the streets. >> i don't think it's been quiet. i think actually in communities all over this country african american communities this is what people have been rolling against. it's come to national consciousness largely because of cell phone videos and other ways this we have been able the see what people have been saying for years. that's what's created the moment. the fact that it has now risen to national consciousness that's a good thing. there are things that can be done, we've got profiling act that has been languishing in congress for years cornell talked about the various bills in the ferguson legislature we're also seeing a crisis of democratic government. the democratic structure of ferguson very much like the democratic structure of communities all over this country with the part-time mayor that gets 50 a month. part time city council and town manager who has all the power. it's an opportunity for us to
11:06 am
really look at representative government and to make real change. that's the moment that cornell is talking about, rather than just sit with discomfort have to begin to dig in and work on change. >> bob i'll note this the naacp has launched what we call america's journey for justice direct actions from sell he ma, alabama, across alabama, georgia, north carolina, virginia, south carolina and into dc. why, because we're trying to take advantage of this democratic upsurge in this country. based upon real problems, 11% of electorate doesn't have an i.d. 25% of african americans yet we see this whimsy of voter disenfranchise. people responding. it comes to criminal justice we see massive racial profiling. so the point being here we have people in this country who can
11:07 am
sense what is wrong, they also sense what can be made right. and they know that congress can act but has failed to do so. >> schieffer: all right. i want to thank both of you for bringing this to our attention on this really what is an historic day. thank you so much. we'll be right back with our panel to talk about all of this and other stuff, too.
11:08 am
11:09 am
>> schieffer: we're back now with our panel joining us this week susan page who is us a teed's washington bureau chief "new york times" white house correspondent peter baker bloomberg politics managing editor john heileman and "washington post" columnist dana milbank. you heard the man of the hour here in washington senator tom cotton, this 60 days in the united states senate now he's at the top of every story.
11:10 am
what did you make of this? >> certainly didn't back off in response to your questions including about whether he's going to try to send letter to the leaders of north korea. what surprised me not that tom cotton would choose to write a letter like this the most senior republicans in the senate including senate majority leader would sign such a letter that is as with the netanyahu speech really the kind of steps we have not seen taken before. >> schieffer: what do you think senator cotton's -- what was his objective here? >> i think in some ways. i do think he feels strongly lot of people in congress feels strongly that these talks are not leading to deal that they feel they can support. his north korea example is reasonable one to look at, did that show that inspectors can do what we ask them to do this time around. what is interesting about it seems to jeopardize what had been a bypartisan skepticism,
11:11 am
number of democrats that signed on to legislation intend to force president obama to come to them. they did not sign this letter actually white house is happy he it played out this way. >> clearly cotton has no regrets some of his fellow snake tore rees do. john mccain blaming the weather, a snowstorm, i didn't read the fine print. i think realizing yes cotton is well intentioned in doing this but it's backfiring. ayatollah going to give out his medal of honor this year. i think cotton would be finalist because gives them an excuse if they pull away. now rest of the world will say making it more likely. >> schieffer: here is a guy who is veteran, he was in the military exemplary record, i just found whole thing sort of surprising. >> you see some freshman senators arrive in town want to get on the map pretty quickly,
11:12 am
that seems to have been part of -- you get a sense that's part of his motivation. fascinating this week listening to former foreign policy from past bush administrations, saying, this is a huge mistake partly because which is that these talks fall apart you want to be in position to blame iran. now there is a plausible narrative if the talks fall apart dissention on the u.s. side. secondly if they do fall apart going to want to put back together, ratchet up the sanctions regime. that requires huge international cooperation. this makes it harder so that in the worst case scenario that could be the biggest effect that we get no deal but harder to keep pressure on iran going forward. >> schieffer: one of the things that sect kerry talked about he talked to our margaret brennan last night was syria whole situation there. i want to just play a portion of what he said.
11:13 am
>> we are working very hard with other interested parties to see if we can reignite diplomatic outcome, why because everybody agrees there is no military solution. there's only a political solution. but to get the regime to negotiate, we're going to have to make it clear to him that there is a determination by everybody to seek our political outcome and that underway right now. i am convinced that with the efforts of our allies and others there will be increased pressure on assad. >> you would do that? >> we have to negotiate. >> schieffer: so secretary of state saying we may have to negotiate with assad. is that a change in the administration's position? >> there is in a way. condition has been through all these negotiations have taken place in the past on syria with the russians and others.
11:14 am
he could not be a part of these conversations because ebbs september negotiate withdrawal. there is an implication secretary kerry just said assad might in fact have room to remain in power some sort of talks. >> probably not terribly helpful what secretary kerry said. that you have to negotiate a political solution. but have to get authorization to use of force. you can imagine dashing off another letter to assad saying watch out. >> schieffer: i'm going to predict that he doesn't do that. he might do that. let's talk about the other huge story of the week that is the hillary clinton e-mail saga. what's going on here? >> i guess i think there's no voter who was on the fence about hillary clinton in fact may be no voter on the fence, it's reel
11:15 am
one she had her own server and private e-mail. but it does make us feel like, welcome to the new clinton campaign where we'll have these battles, scandals privacy control and that is i think not good news for hillary clinton. needs to be talking about her vision, what would she do about income equality and syria. i find probably kind of disheartening for those of us who have been next few years covering the campaign. >> her husband famously says, that's what campaigns are about the future not the past. for 67-year-old woman who has had history she's had she has had incredible history for her to be demonstrating all of the traits that people associate with the worst aspects of the clintons, there are many great aspects that people love. but other aspects about particularly notion they play by their own rules. that seems true, seeing that
11:16 am
spectacle, all of that just revives memories that make for people who have some unhe's about the clintons and certainly makes her look not like canned daylight of the future not like relic from the '90s. >> schieffer: what was the purpose here. just trying to make sure there's no paper trial here of her actions? >> well, maybe it was convenience as she said 10 or 15 times during that press conference. i don't think that particular e-mail thing is scandal or particularly damaging. it's been the way she's handled it. that has given us some ptsd lanny davis is defending her oh my, not only server private but we've destroyed some of the e-mails just feels like the rose law firm all over again. if you want to get rid of thisunfair the scrutiny but you have to come clean move on. >> to be clear i don't think americans care how we react to it.
11:17 am
>> or a member of the law firm. >> it does definitely have that feel. >> to dana's point, may not be a huge scandal there has never been another secretary of state or secretary of -- head of any other government agency we know of that has done what she did which was key siding i'm going to set up my own parallel infrastructure in my house after i leave office i'm going to be the judge and jury over what i'm going to release and destroying else. i'm sorry from perspective of history that looks weird. >> does not smell right. >> i didn't know you could have your own server. >> i thought i was the can't date -- got ahead of me. >> schieffer: let's take a break we'll come back.
11:18 am
a new form of innovation is taking shape, bringing media and technology together for more people. together is more wi-fi access in more places. it's a home you control with the touch of a finger. it's reimaging tv to give more people more choices. it's bringing technology and people together in ways you never thought possible. comcast and time warner cable. together is better for more people.
11:19 am
it's the biggest trade violation in history. today middle east governments are shredding open skies agreements they signed pumping over $40 billion in prohibited subsidies into their state-owned airlines. protectionism at its worst. and their actions threaten thousands of u.s. aviation jobs. it's time for middle east countries to play by the rules. restore competition. restore open skies. fight for american jobs. >> schieffer: book now with more from our panel. we've talked about democrats, we've got to talk about the republicans. to me the most interesting story of the week was disclosure that marco rubio and mitt romney have
11:20 am
suddenly become new best buddies. mind you marco rubio his mentor was jeb bush. i can remember when people said, look if jeb bush decides to run there's no way that marco rubio is going to get in the same race because jeb bush was his mentor. all in those florida politics now we see something entirely different. john, what do you make? >> first of all there is a part of the republican establishment that is -- that likes jeb bush fine but does not want to sacrifice the mantle of the future. the nominee, do not want to have another bush running against her. there's an openness to someone of younger generation, scott walker marco rubio or someone else. when mitt mitt romney announced he was not going to make a third run one of the things he said was that it was time for a new generation people read that as implicit shot at jeb bush. the fact that the two are now new best friends bffs as you say is, doesn't surprise me.
11:21 am
he was leading us toward the support or potential support of rubio. >> schieffer: what's interesting about that, romney said that after it became clear that jeb bush was getting most of his -- they were told romney they were for him then suddenly they became supporters. >> not a lot of love lost. >> it's always shocking to find disloyalty in politics. but it's happened once again with marco rubio. what you have happening here jeb bush is in that position that romney was before him and mccain was before him and george w. bush was before him. that is, he is likely guy he's going to be everybody's second choice. first that have to flirt with all the others. they have their scott walker flirtation, their marco rubio flirtation all the others down the line when they realize probably don't have choice going to be jeb bush again. >> by the way take this chance. proved that you don't have to be in the step at very long or necessarily wait until you spend
11:22 am
40 years in the trenches any more. in fact sometimes better off not doing that because of a cleaner record, less of baggage to run. why wouldn't you want to get out there mix it up. >> very credibly see marco rubio, see him as potential vice president shall nominee on republican ticket. at his age he can afford to run for vice president run for president down the road because he's a young man, he's hispanic and these are important assets in republican party. >> schieffer: do you all think at the end of the day it's going to be bush and hillary clinton? i've got to tell you i think they're both overwhelming favorites right now. but i'm not convinced it's a done deal on either side. >> i would say for two months that i cannot construct a rational argument for why it will not be jeb bush and hillary clinton yet deep in my gut i don't believe that somehow. i can't explain it.
11:23 am
>> rarely a linear process. >> right. from point a to point b. >> things happen. surprises happen. had hard time putting together plausible war ument that jeb bush could have been a candidate even because of the fatigue of his brother. yet here he is as front runner. i do think politics. >> hard to see where the surprise will be. i spent some time with martin o'malley saying maybe he could be it. milquetoast o'malley. talking about sewage treatment plants i think probably not going to light the nation on fire. >> i don't think it's going to be a bush-clinton race. i can't tell you what it is going to be. too neat, too far out we're always too wrong at this point to say what's going to happen. i think hillary clinton is overwhelming favorite for the democratic nation. i think bush is a fragile front runner when you talk about the republican nomination. >> a better retail candidate but between immigration, common core and the sense of not
11:24 am
another bush, there's an open can there for some other republican somehow will open the door to somebody else. >> clinton-guiliani race. >> what about netanyahu, it was such -- >> probably not run. [ laughter ] >> i'm kidding. he gave a good speech. but he was such a big deal when he came over to address congress now seems to be kind of just swept away. >> clearly didn't help him but maybe hurt him. tom cotton needs to write a letter to the israeli say we will not recognize the results there unless netanyahu is -- >> netanyahu does not get another time as primine special. >> schieffer: here is the question. i'm sure you'll be able to help. where is vladimir? >> that's a great question. >> this is very unusual. even in the old bad soviet days
11:25 am
when leaders died it didn't last this long. he's probably not dead. obviously that's hard to cover up. might be sick. might not be presentable in that sense. cultivates his macho healthy image if he had the flu some other things maybe a stroke. stay out of the public limelight. this is something scary because this man such singular control of the only other country on the planet that could destroy us all. it's a pretty important moment. it's also important. >> who knows may ham come down with the flu running around without his shirt. it gets doled over there. >> hard to understand why they haven't had picture, released picture of him talking. >> shirtless or not. >> but they haven't. to make it look like>> i think they need to do a new picture. >> schieffer: if you find out where he is -- call me. it will be news. thank you all so much. we'll be back in just a minute.
11:26 am
11:27 am
thank you, cable for the slower internet upload speeds. for making me wait longer to share my photo albums. thank you cable, because if we never had you we wouldn't know the incredible difference verizon fios makes. in customer satisfaction studies, fios is rated #1 in internet speed and reliability - 8 years running. plus, fios has the fastest wi-fi available from any provider. period. see the difference for yourself. get a fios triple play online at an amazing price, guaranteed for two full years! plus, get a $300 bonus with a two-year agreement. call the verizon center for customers with disabilities at 800.974.6006 tty/v
11:28 am
>> schieffer: that is all the time we have this week. we want to thank you for watching and to tell you that we will see you next sunday right here. captioning sponsored by cbs captioned by media access group at wgbh thank you, cable for the slower internet upload speeds. for making me wait longer to share my photo albums. thank you cable, because if we never had you we wouldn't know the incredible difference verizon fios makes. in customer satisfaction studies, fios is rated #1 in internet speed and reliability - 8 years running. plus, fios has the fastest wi-fi available from any provider. period.
11:29 am
see the difference for yourself. get a fios triple play online at an amazing price, guaranteed for two full years! plus, get a $300 bonus with a two-year agreement. call the verizon center for customers with disabilities at 800.974.6006 tty/v
11:30 am
triple. three. ♪ ♪ hello, welcome to game on, everybody. a march madness special. how about that? i'm dave owens. if you are an employer, the productishty factor in your -- productivity factor in your office is about to fall out. seven hours from now, 68 teams will get their marching orders and somebody's bubble is gonna burst. let's tart with the terrapins. they are


info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on